It’s inevitable: if you smoke weed from a pipe then you will eventually have to clean it to get rid of the accumulated resin and other gunk.
A dirty pipe will not draw properly, which can kill or at least lessen your buzz. It can also affect your health. Just as cannabis can sprout moulds if there are issues with humidity or air circulation, the same thing can happen to a pipe. Smoking from a mouldy pipe can make you sick, especially if you have a mould allergy, compromised immune system, asthma or respiratory disease.
Cannabis Pipe Cleaning Supplies
Flower Stampede cannabis pipes are designed for easy maintenance. To clean your Magnetic Spoon Pipe, you will need:
- Rubbing alcohol (also known as isopropyl alcohol) or nail polish remover (with acetone).
- Table or epsom salt
- Resealable plastic baggy (such as a sandwich bag)
- Glass or plastic receptacle to hold the baggy
Cannabis Pipe Cleaning Steps
- Do a preliminary clean to get rid of resin.
Resin is the sticky residue left behind when you smoke cannabis in a pipe. Your Flower Stampede Magnetic Spoon Pipe comes apart so that you can reach every nook and cranny. Heat softens resin, making it easier to remove. Try using a lighter to heat up the surface and then grab a straight pin to scrape the resin onto a paper towel. Be careful as resin is sticky and will stain anything it touches. Watch your nails or wear rubber gloves, as resin can really cling.
Theoretically you could wipe the resin onto a rolling paper and use it to roll up a joint. However, since it is a concentrated byproduct, resin contains more carcinogens and tar than weed, which can’t be good for you. Smoking it may also give you a headache.
- Place the pipe in a resealable plastic baggy with alcohol or nail polish remover.
Put the pipe in the baggy and add enough alcohol or nail polish remover to cover the pipe.
- Add salt.
Put about a tablespoon of table or epsom salt into the baggy. Salt acts as a scrub to loosen resin and other dirt. Place the baggy in the plastic or glass receptacle to ensure no leaks. You can also “salt” the pieces of your Magnetic Spoon Pipe (see photo) before placing it in the bag.
Shake the baggie.
Shake the bag vigorously to loosen grunge.
- Let it soak.
Leave the pipe to soak for at least an hour.
Shake and rinse.
Give your baggie a final shake and then remove your pipe. Place it in your plastic or glass container, and thoroughly rinse with warm water and dish soap. Scrub off any stubborn resin with a paper towel. Pour the brown goop that remains in the baggy down the toilet to avoid clogging your sink.
Let your pipe dry.
Be sure your pipe is dry before using. Remember that alcohol and acetone are both highly flammable so you’ll want to ensure it is entirely rinsed off before lighting up.
Cleaning a Cannabis Pipe Without Alcohol
If you want to avoid using harsher chemicals like rubbing alcohol or acetone, you can try the boiling method for cleaning your weed pipe:
- Boil enough tap water in a saucepan to cover the pipe by a few inches.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and submerge the pipe for half an hour or so.
- Remove the pipe with tongs - carefully as it will be very hot - and scrub off any remaining resin with a paper towel. Allow to dry.
Note that this method releases a funky weed smell which may bother your partner, kids or roommates.
Cleaning Your Lipstick Pipe
Your Flower Stampede Lipstick Pipe comes with pipe cleaners and screens. To clean your pipe:
- Remove the screen. You can sometimes prolong the life of a screen by scraping the ash off with your fingernail or a straight pin.
- Run a pipe cleaner through the pipe to remove internal resin.
- Dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, and swab the pipe bowl to remove resin and other gunk. Do not submerge your lipstick pipe in alcohol or acetone, as it may harm the finish.
Don’t neglect your gear. Keeping your cannabis pipe clean is a simple way to ensure you get the most enjoyment from your smoke sesh.