When even your mom is treating her arthritis with CBD cream, you know that cannabis-infused lotions are not going anywhere. In fact, research proves cannabis-infused creams may provide relief for pain and inflammation, and may also treat a wide range of skin concerns, from acne to anti-aging.
While there are countless cannabis creams, balms and salves on the market, it's easy and rewarding to make your own. Creating a salve is a great way to harness the healing power of cannabis and essential oils, and you can customize the ingredients to suit your needs.
DIY Salve RecipeIngredients
7-10 grams of cannabis flower
1 ½ cups of coconut oil
1/3 cup olive oil (optional)
1/3 cup beeswax pellets (vegan options: use the same amount of organic soy wax, candelilla wax, or carnauba wax)
A few drops of essential oils of choice, such as lavender, tea tree, peppermint, rosemary, lemon, or eucalyptus (optional)
Double boiler or use a glass or stainless steel bowl placed over a water-filled saucepan (see photo below)
Non-stick baking tray
Glass jar or tin for storage
Approximately 2 cups (16 ounces) of finished salve
As in our infused cheesecake and weed tea recipes, you will need to heat or “decarboxylate” your cannabis to release the active ingredients. You can heat the oils while the weed decarbs.
- Preheat your oven to 245ºF
- Place the buds on a non-stick tray.
- Set the timer for 35 minutes and leave the cannabis to bake on the middle rack.
- While your cannabis is in the oven, place the coconut and olive oil in the double boiler over low heat and stir continuously.
- Remove the tray from the oven and grind the buds to kickstart the release of THC and CBD. Use our four-layer grinder, which lets you preserve the kief for other recipes. Keep the stems too - they make excellent tea.
- Mix the ground buds into the coconut oil. Continue stirring the cannabis and oil mixture on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture through a cheesecloth into the mixing bowl. Set aside
- In the same double boiler, add the beeswax and heat until it is melted. As the beeswax melts, slowly add the infused oil. Add a few drops of any essential oils you would like.
- Once the beeswax and coconut oils are thoroughly mixed, remove from heat and transfer into containers for your infused salve. The liquid will harden as it cools, and then it is ready to use.
Rub your salve on any aches and pains, or use it to moisturize and soothe dry skin. Storing it in a cool, dark place will help preserve its longevity.