Here’s a sweet and savoury dessert that combines the rich flavours of ripe plums and velvety custard with a hint of cannabis magic. Our Cannabis-Infused Plum Custard Tart looks fancy, but the pat-in pastry makes it easy for even novice bakers. Follow our simple recipe for a dessert that's as Instagram-worthy as it is mouthwateringly delicious!
Cannabis-Infused Plum Custard Tart Recipe
Pat-in Sweet Pastry:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cups cold butter cubed
- 2 cups pitted halved prune plums (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup infused whipping cream (see recipe below)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 9-inch (23 cm) round tart pan with removable bottom
- Pastry blender (optional)
Total time: 1/2 hour to make infuse cream; 1 hour to chill pastry; 50 minutes (approx) to bake
Step 1: Make Infused Whipping Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream (also called heavy or 35% cream)
- 1 gram or more of cannabis
- Heat the Buds
As in most weed recipes, start by heating - i.e. “decarbing” your weed. Decarboxylation is a scientific term for heating your cannabis to activate its psychoactive potential. It’s simpler than it sounds.
- Preheat your oven to 245ºF
- Remove flowers but don’t discard the stems; they make excellent tea.
- Place the buds on a non-stick tray.
- Set the timer for 35 minutes and leave your cannabis buds to bake. Then let them cool for another hour.
- Grind the Decarbed Buds
- Grind your baked buds to kickstart the release of THC and CBD. Employ our four-layer grinder, which lets you preserve the kief and use it for other recipes
- Infuse the Cream
- Combine the decarbed cannabis and cream in a saucepan. Place over low heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, being careful not to let the cream burn
- Strain the infused cream using cheesecloth, a colander or a coffee filter, into a clean glass jar
- Cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Step 2: Pat-In Sweet Pastry:
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and cornstarch.
- Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture clumps together.
- With floured hands, press evenly into 9-inch (23 cm) round tart pan with a removable bottom. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
Step 3: Fill and Bake
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Arrange plums, cut side up and slightly overlapping, in a circular pattern over pastry.
- Sprinkle with all but 1 tbsp of the sugar.
- Bake tart in centre of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until plums are softened.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together cream, egg yolks, vanilla and remaining sugar; pour over fruit.
- Bake tart for 25 to 30 minutes longer or until set, golden and knife inserted in centre of filling comes out clean.
- Let cool before eating. Refrigerate after three hours.
This easy to make showstopper - with or without cannabis - is the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving dinner. And as always, watch your dose. Edibles can take a while to kick in, so try to start with a small slice.