Picture this: you're lounging on the couch, craving something delicious to munch on while watching your favourite show. Instead of reaching for the usual bag of popcorn, why not experiment with something different? Cannabis stems can be the secret ingredient to your perfect popcorn snack. Follow our easy recipe for a delightful treat.
How to Use Cannabis Stems
Stems, those little sticks leftover when you consume cannabis flower or buds, do have THC, although trying to smoke them is not advised. The smoke contains many unwanted compounds due to cellulose in the stem, which also makes stems burn extremely hot.
Just like when using cannabis flower as an ingredient, the THC in the stems must be activated by decarboxylation, which is basically a heating process. THC is not water soluble, but can bind to fats like butter and oils such as coconut oil.
Gather Your Ingredients and Supplies
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons popcorn kernels; enough to make 4 cups popped popcorn
- ¼ stick unsalted butter or ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons (or more) cannabis stems ground into small pieces
- Salt (or your favorite seasoning)
- Baking sheet
- Flower Stampede 4-Layer Cannabis Grinder
- Clean glass container
- Mesh strainer or cheesecloth
Step 1: Make Infused Butter or Oil
- Decarboxylate the cannabis stems by spreading them on a baking sheet and baking them at 240°F (115°C) for 40 minutes.
- Grind the decarbed cannabis stems into small pieces to increase the surface area for infusion.
- In a saucepan, melt the unsalted butter or coconut oil over low heat.
- Add the ground cannabis stems to the melted butter or oil and simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Strain out the cannabis stems: set a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth over a clean container.
- Pour the mixture through the strainer, allowing the infused butter or oil to collect in the container while keeping the stems out. Gently press down on the cannabis stems to extract as much infused goodness as possible.
Now you have your cannabis-infused butter or oil ready to add a magical touch to your popcorn.
Step 2: Make the Popcorn
Follow these simple steps:
- Pop your popcorn using your preferred method.
- While the popcorn is still hot, drizzle the cannabis-infused butter or oil over it. Ensure the popcorn is evenly coated for maximum flavour.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt or your favorite seasoning to enhance the taste.
It’s easy to customize your infused popcorn with sweet or savory seasons, Here are some variations to try:
- Dust your popcorn with powdered sugar or cinnamon for a sweet sensation
- Add some grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, or even a pinch of chili powder for a savory twist
Q. Can I use fresh cannabis stems for these recipes?
A. Yes, you can use fresh cannabis stems, but it's recommended to dry and decarboxylate them first for better results.
Q. How long can I store cannabis stem butter?
A. Cannabis stem butter can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three months
Q. Will cannabis stem snacks make me as high as regular edibles?
A. No, cannabis stem snacks may offer a milder high due to the lower concentration of cannabinoids compared to buds or leaves.
Q. What else can I do with weed stems?
A. You can make cannabis stem tea using our easy recipe.
Don't let your cannabis stems go to waste. Enjoy your cannabis stem-infused munchies, and happy snacking!